Institute of Modern Greek Studies [Manolis Triandaphyllidis Foundation]
The Institute of Modern Greek Studies is annexed to the Faculty of Philosophy of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. It was founded in 1959, pursuant to the will of Manolis Triandaphyllidis who bequeathed his fortune to the University.
According to the specifications of the will of M. Triandaphyllidis and the regulations set forth, the Institute of Modern Greek Studies was founded with the aim to promote the study of modern Greek language and literature, as well as the education of Greeks in every way possible and especially through the publication of books.
The principal activities of the Institute include:
- enhancing theoretical and applied, disciplinary and interdisciplinary research in the fields of Greek language and literature;
- conducting a diachronic and synchronic study of the Greek language;
- collecting sources and compiling corpora for the study of Greek language and literature;
- publishing academic studies related to Greek language and literature;
- enhancing Greek language teaching and learning, both as native and as second or foreign language, as well as promoting the Greek language abroad.
The activities of the Institute also include:
- promoting, archiving, and publishing the work of Manolis Triandaphyllidis;
- implementing short- and long-term research projects related to the goals and objectives of the Institute;
- assigning to third parties and supervising research projects related to the goals and objectives of the Institute;
- cooperating with foundations, institutes and various organizations in Greece, in the European Union or in other countries which share the same or similar research interests, and participating in research projects implemented by the abovementioned agencies;
- organizing conferences, academic symposiums, lectures, workshops, seminars and various other activities related to the goals and objectives of the Institute, as well as publishing relevant findings;
- awarding scholarships for studies related to the goals and objectives of the Institute.