Compiling historical archives and providing them to researchers and students whose main field of study is history are necessary prerequisites for the study of the social development of institutions.
The School of Primary Education of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was granted the use of the archive of the Education Academy, which also includes material from older teacher training institutions that operated in Thessaloniki:
- All-Male Teacher Training School (Ipodidaskaleio) of Thessaloniki
The School was open from 1901 to 1913. It was part of the Lower Secondary School of Thessaloniki and it was subject to the provisions of the regulation of the city’s Greek community.
The archive contains school records, class records and a book with information about school-leaving certificates.
- All-Male Teacher Training School and Mixed-Sex Teacher Training School of Thessaloniki
The All-Male Teacher Training School opened its doors as a three-teacher school (pursuant to Law no. 381, Government Gazette 335/19-11-1914) in 1914, and operated as such until its closing year in 1929, whereas from 1926 to 1932 it operated as a six-teacher school for male students (pursuant to Law no. 3182, Government Gazette 187/7-8-1924). In 1929, the five-teacher Mixed-Sex Teacher Training School opened its doors within the framework of the education reform promoted by Venizelos the same year (and pursuant to Law no. 4368, Government Gazette 291/17-8-1929).
The archive contains a register of documents, general and special reports, records of the Chair, the teaching personnel, and the school committee, books with information about school-leaving certificates, and resource material books.
- All-Female Teacher Training School of Thessaloniki
The all-female three-teacher Teacher Training School of Thessaloniki was founded in 1914, pursuant to Law No. 381 (Government Gazette no. 335/19-11-1914). In 1925, it turned into a six-teacher school (pursuant to Law no. 3182, Government Gazette 187/7-8-1924) and in 1929 into a five-teacher mixed-sex school; thus, the material of this period is integrated in the archives of the All-Male Teacher Training School.
The archive of the All-Female Teacher Training School contains school records, a register of documents, general and special reports, minutes of conferences, books with information about study certificates, school-leaving certificates, as well as resource material books.
- Education Academy of Thessaloniki
The Education Academy of Thessaloniki was founded in 1933, pursuant to Law no. 5802 (Government Gazette 286/29-9-1933), and was open until 1990 – with a short break between 1971 and 1974 – when it merged with the Education Academy of Florina. Its archive is the largest of all and contains a register of documents, records of the Chair and the personnel, reports, class records, registers, study certificates, minutes of the student union meetings and of those of the administration council, curriculum books, attendance registers, school teacher registers, library records, resource material books, books related to the School Board Fund and the Student Food Management Services, payroll records and various other documents. The archive material is presented in detail, and in chronological order, and is available to researchers for consultation.