AUTh is the largest University in Greece covering all disciplines. It is widely recognized as a vibrant center of learning which draws its inspiration from a long tradition of academic achievement. This can be supported, among other factors, by the fact that so much in science, as in the arts and divinity, medicine and technology, it prides itself in its international role. Most of its academic personnel have been trained in reputable Universities in Europe, the United States and as far afield as Australia and Japan. The University has been actively participating in the Erasmus Programme since 1987, accounting approximately one fourth of the total Erasmus mobility in Greece in the frame of Student for Studies Mobilities as well as Staff for Teaching Mobilities.
Nevertheless, mindful of rapid change and progress, we aim to improve our strategy, policies and everyday practices, in order to meet contemporary local and global demands. By assessing our experience, we have been able to determine our strengths and weaknesses, and we have adopted a holistic internationalization strategy, the main objectives of which can be briefly described as follows:
– Strengthen our role in the European and international knowledge community by building upon collective and personal academic achievements.
– Enhance our visibility among the traditionally prestigious academic institutions all over the world
, by establishing long-term cooperation schemes at research, education and training level.
– Reinforce our traditional presence as leading education and research institution in Southeastern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean
, by building focused strategic partnerships in the area.
– Play a decisive role in academic exchange, good practices dissemination, and knowledge diffusion.
– Support multicultural co-existence, social and cultural cohesion, and promote sustainable regional development.
– Make multilateral, rather than unilateral approach, a core aspect of our work in education, research and administrative level.
– Make our graduates able to think and act across traditional academic boundaries and across national borders. Properly equip them so that they may benefit from international knowledge and experience and support national and local dynamic development.
– Take into consideration global market demands and adjust respectively our educational policies.
– Enhance our cooperation with commercial enterprises abroad in terms of internship offers in order to improve our students’ international employability.
– Enhance and reinforce our relation with Greek society.
The Department of International Relations and the Department of European Educational Programmes are responsible for enhancing, organizing and maintaining good relations between the Aristotle University and the international academic community, as well as for promoting the university abroad, with the aim to reinforce cooperation and communication in the field of teaching and research.
The above goals are met by participating in International Organizations, Unions and University Networks, coordinating and implementing Bilateral Agreements between the AUTh and universities all over the world, as well as by implementing the European Policy of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki through the Erasmus+ programme and various other European Educational Programmes (Erasmus Mundus, Erasmus+ International etc.).
The UNESCO Chair on Education for Human Rights, Democracy and Peace, the UNESCO Chair and International Network of Water-Environment Centers for the Balkans, the UNESCO C2c Center for Integrated Water Resources Management and the “Iason” Programme play an integral role in continually advancing the prestige of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.