Founded in 1991, pursuant to the Presidential Decree 200/91 (Government Gazette No. 78/30-5-91), the School of Informatics first opened its doors in autumn 1992 and was granted autonomous status in 1995.
It is administered by the General Assembly (GA) which consists of the Faculty members of the School, representatives of the Special Teaching Personnel and Technical Personnel, and a number of student representatives equal to 50% of the number of faculty members. The School is not divided into departments; thus, the General Assembly performs all the duties usually assigned to departments.
Through the efforts of the staff, the School of Informatics has grown considerably both in reputation and stature reflecting its status as a nationally and internationally recognized center of excellence in teaching and research. The following confirm the high reputation of the School:
- The external evaluation report conducted by the H.Q.A.A. (Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency) in September 2011.
- Recent comparative evaluation of research quality in Greek Schools of Informatics ranks the School of Informatics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki at the top of all Greek Schools of Informatics.
- The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was ranked as one of the top 200 universities in “Computer Science and Information Systems” by the QS company.
- A large number of original research publications in reputable international journals and conferences. Publication of a large number of books on a wide range of topics related to Informatics.
- A large number of funded research and development projects assigned to the School by the European Union and Greek agencies.
- A significant number of the School’s graduates have gained professional and academic recognition in Greece and abroad.
The School of Informatics is housed in the complex of the Faculty of Sciences.
Secretariat: Maria Milosi
Τηλ. Επικοινωνίας: +30 2310 998410