Founding the Faculty of Theology was part of a plan to found a university in Thessaloniki right after the liberation of the city in 1912. But it took a long time before the plan was implemented because of the turmoil that the country was in. Thus, the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki was founded in 1925, whereas the Faculty of Theology in 1941.
In 1964, the Faculty of Theology was divided into three schools, those of: a) Theology, b) Pastoral Theology, and c) Ecclesiastical and Social Service. Due to insufficient number of students enrolled, the School of Ecclesiastical and Social Service soon closed its doors. The other two Schools, though, continued to operate until 1982 under the same administration.
In accordance with Law no. 1268/1982 (known as the legal framework with regards to Greek universities), the Faculty of Theology was divided into two independent schools: a) the School of Theology, and b) the School of Pastoral Theology. Each School is administered by the General Assembly. Faculty members and teaching assistants were asked to decide on the School they would like to continue to offer their services to. Pursuant to the presidential decree 316 (Government Gazette 166/6-10-94), the School of Pastoral Theology was renamed School of Pastoral and Social Theology.
In accordance with Law no. 1351/1983, article 6, par. 10, “graduates of the School of Pastoral Theology of the University of Athens and of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki respectively are qualified for employment in secondary education.”
The library of the Faculty of Theology is well-organized and contains a wealth of material. Students are also provided with a study room. The library is administered by the Deanship of the Faculty.
Until 1990, the two Schools of the Faculty of Theology jointly published the journal entitled “Scientific Annals of the Faculty of Theology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.” Since 1990, each School has been publishing its own journal.
Also, the Faculty of Theology participates in the activities carried out by the Centre for Byzantine Research, which is part of the Faculty of Philosophy of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. The Centre for Byzantine Research is divided into five departments (Medieval Greek Literature, Byzantine History, Byzantine Archaeology and Art, Byzantine Theology, and Byzantine Law) and is administered by a five-member administrative board. One of the board members is representative of the Faculty of Theology.