Faculty of Philosophy
The University of Thessaloniki was founded in 1925, that is, 13 years after the liberation of the city. In order to meet the educational needs of the time, special emphasis was placed on the development of the humanities. Thus, the Faculty of Philosophy was the first to open its doors in 1926.
The history of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is inextricably linked to the history and development of the Faculty of Philosophy.
The programmes of study of the Faculty of Philosophy aim to qualify young scholars for employment in secondary education, as well as to provide them with the tools necessary for research in specialized areas of the humanities, social sciences, and history.
After years of restructuring, the Faculty of Philosophy today consists of: a) the School of History and Archaeology, b) the School of Philology, c) the School of Philosophy and Pedagogy, d) the School of Psychology, e) the School of English Language and Literature, f) the School of French Language and Literature, g) the School of German Language and Literature, and h) the School of Italian Language and Literature. All Schools of the Faculty of Philosophy have been granted autonomous status.
Museums, art collections, archives and laboratories are also part of the Faculty of Philosophy.